Sunday, May 22, 2011

Day two. Well.. night two.

So the second night of building things started really happening. 

A decision I made during the design process, was to have slats every 1'.  This would make the planning easy. In the world of "close enough" math, I went with 36' circumference. I decided I wanted a 3' wide door.  That means I need 33 bays.
Oh hello slats.  But how am I going to put screws through you?  Holes!  Lots of holes.

Each slat has 8 holes drilled in it.  Measuring and drilling each hole separately would work.  But it would also take a lot of time.  33 slats, with 8 holes in each means drilling 264 holes.  That's a lot of measuring and drilling.  So it's time to break out the production line techniques. 

Templates are the key.  I have several slats that just aren't up to the quality of using in the yurt, so I have material to make one.  I did a little measuring, and...
The wood looks rough, but it's plenty accurate for the job.  Now the slats are very thin, so they need to be held straight, and not curved while drilling them.  Over an 8' length, the droop due to gravity makes the holes on the inner piece of wood almost a half inch off from the outer piece of wood. 

At first I did them singly, but by the end of the project, I was doing slats 4 at a time. 

To keep the slats aligned as I am drilling, I slipped a bolt into the holes.  Not every hole, usually every second or third.  This made the bundles more rigid, and therefore easier to hold straight. 
The wood I used was really low quality, so the slats are not very straight.  That's ok though, because there's 60+ slats they average out.  The curved bits only make themselves obvious at the ends of the wall. 

The end of day one's work.  It doesn't look like a lot.  But I was proud of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment