Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Yurt Math, and getting it wrong.

Here, I was all ready to sit here and write up all the math involved with doing a yurt. 

And I found a mistake.  I built my wall with 1' squares.  Now, if you have two 1' lines, with a 90 deg corner between them.. the distance between the furthest points is 1.41 feet.  I based my math on each bay being 1', not 1.41'. 

The wall I built is the right size for a 15' diameter yurt.  Sadly, BB didn't buy enough canvas for a 15' yurt. 

Allow me to illustrate:
Please, excuse the whole mspaint thing. Figure one is something i just know off the top of my head.  It's a long story as to why I know that, but I know that equal forces 90 deg from each other, gives you 1.41 times the force involved. 

Or in this case, 1 foot x 1 foot gives you 1.41 feet.  I feel dumb.  to have built this yurt properly, I would have needed to build the slats with holes spaced 8.5" apart, instead of 1' 

Next time, we'll cover the whole set of calculations to build a yurt.  Really.  I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment